Doubletree by Hilton Orlando Sea World retained CES to perform an air-cooled chiller replacement at their International Drive resort. The project required installing a 14,000 lb, 195-ton chiller onto the rooftop of the 16 story, 200 ft. tall, 194k sq. ft. resort tower. CES partnered with Sims Crane Orlando to provide a 350-ton crane to accomplish the lift. The project required significant coordination between CES and resort staff to assure a safe project. The goals of the chiller replacement project were to reduce maintenance and energy costs and to improve reliability and efficiency.
CES’s scope of work included:
- Demolition and Replacement of chiller and HVAC components,
- Commissioning and reporting for EPA certification.
- Short installation schedules necessitated flawless planning and implementation turnarounds.
CES’s Facility Services team worked diligently to design systems and install equipment to meet Doubletree Resort’s highest level of delivery expectations of the best design and product solution for the project. Chiller sound levels were an important design consideration for Doubletree. Great performance is delivered in a low sound unit that will be quiet enough for any resort application. According to Carrier, The AquaForce chiller’s AeroAcoustic™ fan is almost twice as quiet per cfm as the competition.
CES recommended and installed new HVAC mechanical systems consisting of:
- Disconnecting and removing of the existing chiller, via 350 ton crane from Sims Crane Orlando
- Modifications to the existing steel frame support to accommodate the new chiller
- Installation of one (1) 195-ton Carrier 30XA-200 Rotary Screw Chiller on the existing footprint, via crane.
- Retrofitting of the existing chilled water piping to the new chiller
- Contracted Electric Solutions Unlimited, Inc. to retrofit the existing electrical power wiring
- Contracted Fern Insulators, Inc. to insulate the new chilled water piping
- Lightening protection
- Factory Start up and test
In partnership with Precision Balance, a third-party professional Test & Balancing firm, CES also performed testing and balancing of the HVAC system.
CES delivered the project on time and on budget. Doubletree Resort is very satisfied with CES’s performance and the approach implemented at the facility. Doubletree Resort will continue to benefit long-term from the energy efficiency improvements and reduced maintenance costs.
All work was completed with zero accidents and zero interruptions to Doubletree’s operations.