What is the Advanced RTU Campaign?
The Advanced RTU Campaign (ARC) encourages commercial building owners and operators to replace their old RTUs with more efficient units or to retrofit their RTUs with advanced controls in order to take advantage of these benefits.
Older, inefficient commercial rooftop unit (RTU) air conditioning systems are common and can waste from $900 to $3,700 per unit annually, depending on the building size and type. By replacing or retrofitting them, you can save money, improve your energy efficiency, make your building more comfortable, and help the environment.
New technologies for replacement and retrofits of existing rooftop air conditioning units (RTUs) offer tremendous savings opportunities. To help take advantage of those opportunities, DOE’s Advanced RTU Campaign (ARC) has developed a set of resources built around a streamlined RTU evaluation methodology.
CES applies this proven methodoligy into its HVAC Planned Replacement Programs.
Congratulations to the organizations listed below for leadership and excellence in commercial building rooftop unit (RTU) efficiency. Combined, their estimated energy savings total over 100,000,000 kWh and $10 Million per year from efficient RTU replacements, retrofits, and quality management. To learn more about their projects and savings, visit the Awards page of the ARC website.
- adidas, Most innovative RTU management approach
- Target, Largest efficiency gain for a single building RTU replacement project and for a multiple-building RTU replacement project
- U.S. CIS, U.S. GSA, Pizzagalli Properties, and Elman Investors, Highest number of high-efficiency RTU installations by a government organization, and Highest number of RTU installations that meet/exceed the RTU challenge specification
- U.S. Navy, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Highest number of advanced RTU control retrofits by a government organization
- Walmart, Highest number of high-efficiency RTU installations by a commercial company
- Whole Foods Market, Highest number of advanced RTU control retrofits by a commercial company